Tuesday, December 7, 2010

The Chaos Theory in Motion

Driving to class can be an adventure in itself.  In the states we are generally accustomed to abiding by the rules of the road; stopping at a stop sign, slowing down at a yellow light, never crossing a double yellow line, etc.  Here in Phnom Penh, there are two main rules of the road.

1. If you see a gap, drive towards it.
2. Use your horn whenever possible to signify that the gap is yours.

It's the chaos theory in motion, but it works.  Yes of course there are traffic lights, but they are merely just pretty things to look at as you whizz through the intersection.  I'm also almost positive that one is supposed to drive on the right side of the road, but you could never tell in Phnom Penh.  If you need to get somewhere, then you simply just go, even if it means driving on the wrong side of the road into oncoming traffic.  Just don't forget to use your horn.   If I were to stop and take a picture of traffic in a main intersection, I could guarantee to find at least ten things wrong with the picture by American standards.  Four people on the back of a two person moto, children not two years old riding on the handle bars, women in skirts riding side saddle, a car with a steering wheel on the right side of the car, people driving on the sidewalk, twenty people crammed into the back of a pick up truck, and whatever other traffic violation you can think of.

I told Dara that I got a texting while driving ticket back in California and he literally laughed out loud.




This last weekend I also had the amazing experience of visiting Angkor Wat, which means "City Temple." This was hands down one of the coolest places I've ever been to, and I've been to some pretty neat places.  Angkor Wat was built during the 12th century for the king and is the world's largest religious site.  Relatively little damage was done during the war and Khmer Rouge control during the late 1970's and early 1980's, and thank goodness because where would've the movie Lara Croft Tomb Raider been filmed had it been destroyed? Point being Angkor Wat is a fascinating spiritual site and I could feel the energy as I walked through its temples, and I'm so thankful I was able to make it there.









I also passed my exams with high marks which I guess means I am grammatically and phonetically able to pass on the english language knowledge to my students, but the hard part is coming up next week.  The actual practice of teaching a class full of students under observation. Yikes!

No comments:

Post a Comment