Thursday, December 16, 2010

Teacher teacher!

My first few days in Pattaya, Thailand have been very hectic.  I packed up my things in Cambodia last Friday and spent the weekend on Koh Chang, the second largest island in Thailand.  It was literally an island in Paradise.





I met some really great people along the way and it was nice to relax for a few days before the crazy part of my training began...

For the next two weeks I am teaching at a Christian Church down the road from where I am staying.  I have 12 students of all ages and language abilities, which is why my job is a bit more challenging.  On Monday I walked (more like was thrown) in with my own written lesson and a structured plan, but in actuality I absolutely had no idea what I was doing.  I felt like I was on a freight train headed straight towards Disaster Town with me hanging on for dear life.  I didn't expect my students to come in ready to discuss the philosophy and major works of John Locke, but I did expect them to know how to speak and write basic sentences.  Something simple like "Hi my name is Rachael. I am from California in the Unites Sates.  I like to read books." MISTAKE.  When I said okay your turn, I was greeted with blank stares and silence.  Clearly they had no idea what the hell I just said.  Double friggen frick.  My whole lesson plan was now moot.  So from there I had to improvise, make something up, and pretend like that was my plan the entire time... Crisis averted. Although it was a very narrow miss.

The great thing about my students is how nice they are.  They bring me coffee, juice and breakfast every morning.  

"Teacher teacher! I take care for you!"

In asian cultures, teachers are highly respected, especially farang (foreign) teachers.  Days two, three and four went a lot smoother as I got to know my students and could gear my lesson plans towards their ability.  They appear to really like me and come in eager to start learning.  My favorite part is when they thank me after each lesson and sit down and pray for me.  Funny how a small act of appreciation can go a long way.  I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment